Recently I was requested by a client to help with a legacy data migration to Oracle. The data resided in flat files generated from an IBM AS400 in csv and other text formats. Part of the migration was to read through the text lines that contained lines of text which needed to be tokenized and then inserted into different columns. What follows are the atomic PL/SQL functions that I wrote to break down the legacy data lines into tokens which can then be manipulated and used to populate the normalized target schema. I hope you find this useful as a foundation to develop more complex parsing algorithms.
Start a conversation about Managed Services
- We provide a personalized experience
- Thought & strategic leadership is included for all our clients
- Flexible arrangements working on-site or remote
- Boutique services, so that you don’t pay for services you don’t need
- One-on-one support & training for your staff
- We provide you with expert-level resources with real world experience